Help us save lives and celebrate lives by creating a philanthropic legacy through the American Cancer Society Donor Advised Fund.
The American Cancer Society Donor Advised Fund allows you to combine the most favorable tax benefits with the flexibility to easily support your favorite charities. An increasingly popular charitable vehicle, DAFs are an excellent way to both simplify your charitable giving and facilitate your strategic philanthropic goals.
Advantages of a Donor Advised Fund:
- Simplicity: the donor advised fund sponsor handles all record-keeping, disbursements, and tax receipts.
- Flexibility: timing of your tax deduction can be separate from your charitable decision-making.
- Tax-efficiency: contributions are tax-deductible and any investment growth in the DAF is tax-free. It is also easy to donate long-term appreciated securities, eliminating capital gains taxes.
- Family legacy: a DAF is a powerful way to build or continue a tradition of family philanthropy.
- No transaction fees: once approved, 100% of your recommended grant goes to the charity of your choice.
Take these easy steps to establishing your Donor Advised Fund with ACS:
- Complete the Donor Advised Fund Agreement or register online to establish your account.
- Make an irrevocable gift to the American Cancer Society Donor Advised Fund of cash, securities, or other property.
- Make selections for your account that is managed and assets are invested by the American Cancer Society’s investment partner, Morgan Stanley Global Impact Funding Trust (GIFT).
- Monitor your donor advised fund growth dependent on the investment preference you establish.
- You may propose that distributions from the fund be made on your own giving timetable, to areas of the American Cancer Society or other charitable organizations.
- Any undistributed assets continue to be managed by the American Cancer Society and Morgan Stanley GIFT which can be distributed in the future.
Frequently Asked Questions:
What is the minimum donation to establish a new Donor Advised Fund?
The minimum size for a new account is $10,000
What is the minimum donation for an additional contribution to an established Donor Advised Fund?
An additional contribution to an existing account must be valued at $1,000 or more.
What is the minimum amount that can be directed to a charity from the fund?
Each grant must be at least $250.
What types of assets can be contributed to a Donor Advised Fund?
Donors may make irrevocable and nonrefundable charitable gifts of cash and unrestricted stock. Other complex assets, such as real estate and private stock may be accepted on a case-by-case basis.
For more information about the Donor Advised Fund, please contact Brent Chambers, Vice President, Development Resources at 804.527.3784 or email@example.com.